Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Internship (First Day)

On February 26, I woke up with a headache and I didn't feel well. I went to to the bathroom and threw up. I still went to Chinese class even though my headache hadn't gone away. During Chinese class, my headache slowly went away. After class, I went to Marissa's dorm to talk about traveling throughout the semester. She and I decided we wanted to go to Songpan together at some point. I then returned home and paid the utility bill for my apartment.

On my way back home


In my apartment complex, someone owns this crazy looking poodle.


Marit and Kevin had left their money for the bill on the table. At 3 pm, I took the bus to Crayon Club (where my internship is) and met Wilma (a teacher's assistant), Shuang Shuang (the accountant) and Ma Huan (I'm not sure what she does) downstairs. The four of us went to an elementary school to pass out brochures about Crayon Club. We arrived at the elementary school early, so we walked to the flower market to pass the time. Around 4 pm, most of the parents were waiting outside of the school to pick up their children.
In China, different grades are let out of school at different times. For instance, at this school, first and second grade students are dismissed at 4 pm, third and fourth grade students are dismissed at 4:30 pm, and fifth and sixth grade students are dismissed at 5 pm. The reason for this is that they can't dismiss all the students at the same time because there are too many of them.
So, the four of us handed out brochures to the parents of the first, second, third and fourth graders. Wilma told me that they don't wait for the fifth and sixth graders to get out because most of their parents don't pick them up. Instead, the students walk home on their own. We also had to pick up a student form the school that would go back to Crayon Club for his English class. Once we finished passing out brochures and found the boy, the five of us all took a taxi back to Crayon Club. Wilma told me I was done for the day, so I took a bus back to my apartment. I returned home around 5:30 pm and did some laundry. I also researched some travel plans, did my homework, ate dinner, and talked to my roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment