Thursday, March 19, 2009

Emeishan

On March 18, I woke up at 8 a.m., took a shower, and went to eat breakfast at the hotel. At 9:30 a.m. everyone met in the lobby and we all took the bus to the entrance of the park at Emeishan. There we began our climb through beautiful Emei mountain to Wannian Temple.

On the way to Wannian temple











The walk through this rural mountain reminded me of the countryside of the Dominican Republic and Cuba. The atmosphere, people, homes and scenery were so similar.




Wannian Temple at the top of the stairs


Entrance









I saw Chinese people doing this, so I had to get my picture taken, too!



Inside the temple itself (the ceiling)


360 view of the temple



Other side of the temple

One of the ponds with money and live turtles


Another part of Wannian







And another temple in Wannian




Monks

Yes, he's on is cellphone


Outside of the entrance were some monkeys who had already attacked some of the Shanghai students who were waiting for the rest of us to finish looking at the temple. They also grabbed some food from a Chinese couple who was walking up the stairs to the temple. They didn't attack me, fortunately!


These two were so cute!


Part of the family



From Wannian Temple, we all walked to Qingyin Pavillion to eat a vegetarian lunch since monks can't eat meat.

People selling mushrooms and cigars.

Puppy! I want one...


I thought this looked so cool with the lettuce drying in front of the mountains.




Qingyin Pavillion

After our lunch, we had free time to climb higher up the mountain to where more monkeys were.

People getting carried up the mountain


Carvings in the wall


A beautiful waterfall

Laura and Kailey were walking through the water and didn't realize how deep it was, so they got soaked from head to toe.


More carvings




Posing for a group picture while at the same time looking for monkeys above

Some of the students decided they wanted to go the path less traveled, so they walked down by the river. I, however, didn't want to take the chance of slipping and ruining my camera, so I went took the safer path.




Another awesome carving!



The monkeys!

Their "playground"









We had to be back at the bus by 4 p.m., so we began our trek back to the parking lot.

On the way back to the bus








At 4 p.m., we drove back to Chengdu, and once I arrived at home, I didn't do too much for the rest of the night.

2 comments:

  1. That was a weird looking puppy....but still cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I love your comments. Out of all the pictures I put up, you comment on the puppy. lmao! :)

    ReplyDelete