Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Meishan Cont'd.

After teaching the two classes (around 11:30 a.m.), Mabel and I returned to her parents' apartment. We ate the dumplings and fried dumplings that Mabel's parents prepared for us. The food was so delicious and Mabel's parents kept asking me to eat more. Of course, I couldn't turn down that request.

Lunch




Mabel's parents

The apartment



Once I finished eating, I joined Mabel on the couch and fell alseep for an hour. Around 2 p.m., Mabel gave me a tour of Meishan.

Meishan



A Playboy store in Meishan. How ironic.



The Su Poets (the father is in the middle surrounded by his two sons)



We then went to the temple in Meishan of famous poets, two brothers and their father. The father, Su Xun, and his two sons, Su Shi and Su Zhe, were born in Meishan. They are famous poets, politicians and ideologists from the Song Dynasty, with Su Shi being the most famous.

The temple


















Awesome translations of signs!


"Only if the tree owns greenness, the earth will have pulse"

"If make tree protection and no-smoking, the civilization will be just around you"

(Isn't that great???) :)
These men are really good at playing with these yo-yo's. It seems hard to do.




Playing a traditional Chinese instrument (which I'm sure is also difficult)



After visiting the temple, Mabel and I walked to the museum about the poets located across from the temple.

The museum
A traditional Chinese instrument.




Same type of chair used nowadays in the mountains to carry tired people up or down the mountain. (I've seen these in Xiling and Emeishan now).


Lucky money tree. What you have to do is throw some money over the glass and hope it lands on one of the branches. If it does, that means you're lucky or you will be fortunate. I tried doing this with one jiao, but it didn't land on the branch. :(

The two of us then drove to an ancient town called Huanglongxi. On our way there, we stopped at a small restaurant that Mabel told me is famous for their food. I would have never guessed that this restaurant is popular because it's so plain and it's location is so hidden.

The wall across from the restaurant




The restaurant




Mabel ordered a type of soup with vegetables and meat, which was pretty good after all. We went on our way once again and arrived at Huanglongxi in the evening when it was already dark and most of the shops had closed up. Nonetheless, we still walked around and saw what we could.

Huanglongxi



The bridge that Mabel told me wa sthe first time she and her husband held hands. I thought that was really cute and romantic.



Little shop selling toys and random stuff.


Another store selling chairs to put over toilets. :)


After Huanglongxi, we returned home and I went to bed since I was tired after this long day.

2 comments:

  1. that's too bad about that money tree thing...
    hopefully its not accurate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's very accurate.... I hope.

    ReplyDelete