Thursday, March 19, 2009

One After the Other (March 12)

In the morning, I went to Chinese class. When my class ended, I met Mabel and her husband to go eat Chinese steak. My steak was definitely much thinner than those in the U.S., but it was still pretty delicious.

The restaurant's salad/fruit bar



I had told Mabel that I wanted to go sightseeing in Chengdu, so she told me that today we would be going to Songxianqiao Art City, Qintai Old Path, and Wenshu temple. From the restaurant, the three of us first drove to Songxianqiao Art City in Chengdu, where all types of jewelry, pottery and artifacts are sold.



This is hung around a toddler's neck to give him fortune, prosperity, health, wealth, happiness, etc. Mabel had one prettier than this one, but lost it.


Ducks are given to married couples to wish them happiness in their marriage.






A local tofu dish that I didn't really like too much.

People watching a Mahjong game

From the art market, we drove to Qintao Street, a street with ancient edifices that have been converted to shops and restaurants. Mabel and I were the only ones who walked around because Wang Jian wanted to sleep in the car.







A souvenir store with a funny name





Live turtles inside an Indian store with beautiful but expensive clothes and jewelry










We then went to Wenshu Temple.




Mabel and Wang Jian








Wang Jian lighting incense

which he then put in here

Mabel took a picture of me doing the same thing. I know I'm not really religious, but I was given the incense for free, so I had to try it out.





After visiting the temple, Mabel told me that we would be picking up her cousin and then go to eat dinner.

"Poor man's" hot pot

The kitchen


Mabel's cousin and husband

No comments:

Post a Comment