Thursday, March 19, 2009

Monday (Sichuan Opera & Huanglongxi again)

On Monday, my Government class was cancelled, which was good news in a way because I was then able to join the Shanghai USAC group (who were visiting Chengdu) in their trip to Huanglongxi. I didn't realize until I got there that I had already been there with Mabel. However, when Mabel and I went it was nighttime, so this time I was able to see the ancient town during the day.

Huanglongxi

Women selling flower wreaths to wear on your head


A woman working with dough


Part of the temple in Huanglongxi

Across the river

Marissa and I
A cool weaving machine

Pretty umbrellas!


Ancient Chinese and Western dresses that the Chinese could dress up in and have their pictures taken, as seen below.


The river and the stone bridge at the end where Mabel and Wang Jian first held hands.







We returned to the school around 5 p.m. and I hung out at Marissa's dorm until we had to leave for dinner with the Shanghai group at the hotel where we had our orientation. After dinner, we all walked to Jinli street to watch the Sichuan opera. We had to take the long way, though, because we usually go through Tibetan street, which was closed to foreigners. The opera, however, was amazing!

The stage

These guys used these tea kettles to do some cool kung fu moves and actually poured water out of them into our teacups!

This performer was so flexible!


















After her performance, she came down with her puppet and had us touch the puppet's hand.

This guy was unbelievably good at using only his body to make animals!










An awesome musician!



A knife show

Kevin was asked to go onstage








The changing faces show in which the performers have masks that they change right in front of your face without being able to tell how they did it. Unfortunately, my camera ran out of room, so I was unable to film it.

After the show was over, I walked home with Gloria, Kevin, and two of the Shanghai students named Silas and Eleanor and packed for my trip for the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment